Quick Onion-Pepper Pizza


This is recipe #2 from Box#2.
Tired, cranky and hungry. That is the behavioral triumvirate that generally leads to bad dinner choices. What I really wanted was crappy Chinese take-out, but instead, realized that making my own pizza would take less time and it was already paid for. It's sad how time and money fuel so many of our decision, eh? Well, that aside, I was smart enough to have picked up some circular Persian bread from the bakery down the street. I'm not sure if it's meant to be used as a pizza base, but their typical bread is a very long rounded-edge rectangle and this round one was the perfect size for pizza, so maybe they're branching out.

1 onion, sliced very thin
1 small bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
2 baseball-sized cauliflower florets,
tomato paste, or pizza sauce
4-5 mushrooms, sliced very thin
1 pizza base/crust, pre-cooked

1. Preheat your oven to 425F
2. Carmelize the onion in a few tablespoons of oil on medium heat. This may take awhile. I aimed for a medium-brown. They could've gone longer, but I was getting impatient.
3. I shredded the cauliflower with a vegetable peeler. This served to make it about the consistency of couscous.
4. I mixed a few table spoons of tomato paste with a few table spoons of water, salt, oregano and basil, to taste. Don't you hate recipes like this? How could I expect anyone to re-create anything with such vague instruction?
5. Spread the sauce over the base, add toppings at will. I put the onions down after the sauce and then the peppers. The cauliflower was sprinkled on top.
6. Bake until the peppers are a little done.

Vague? Yes. Fast? Perhaps. Tasty? Indeed.

Comments