Potato Masala


This is Recipe #1 from Box #2.

We love potatoes. I mean REALLY love potatoes. We both grew up in potato-loving families, and hope to pass on our potato-loving nature to our little red-head. So I was happy to get some small, red potatoes in this box. I'd call them 'new' potatoes, but they weren't quite so 'new'. A few eyes and a few rubbery ones didn't please me, but the rest of the produce was great, so I'll allow for a misfire once in awhile.

For this supper, I considered just having plain boiled potatoes, but at the last minute, I wanted something a little more interesting, so I made it a little Indianesque.

Potato Masala

8 small waxy potatoes, boiled until tender, NOT falling apart
1 roma tomato, chopped
pinch asafoetida
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried curry leaves
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tbsp oil
salt, to taste

1. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat and add the mustard
2. Add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, turn the heat down to medium and add the cumin seeds.
3. Add the asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for a moment or two.
4. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Fry for a moment.
5. Add the turmeric and chili powder and mix well.
6. Add the cooked potatoes and stir to coat with the masala.
7. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are mushy.
8. Salt to taste.

Comments