Thursday, February 4, 2010
Recipe#3 from Farm Box #1
I've never had kohlrabi before and was excited to be presented with a big purple one in the Box. I was origionally going to use it to make a kootu, but I didn't have time to get things ground etc. So, I decided on ANOTHER STIR-FRY. Yes, I know, but this one was much tastier.
1 large kohlrabi, peeled, diced into 1/2 x 1/2 x 1 in rectangles
1 medium carrot, diced as above
1/2 brick of tofu, diced as above
5 scallions, sliced diagonally
handful of cilantro
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
1/4 c soy sauce
few pinches of cornstarch
1/2 c crushed roasted cashews
1. Fry tofu in the oil until desired doneness.
2. Add scallions and kohlrabi and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add sauce and cook another 5-10 minutes until kohlrabi begins to get tender. Add additional water if sauce gets sparse.
4. Add carrot and stir-fry a few minutes.
5. Add cilantro and cashews and drizzle with a small amount of sesame oil after turning off the heat.
This was a more interesting stir-fry than the last one. The kohlrabi was an interesting combination of broccoli-ness and root-vegetable. All in all, it worked and the red-haired vegan even liked it a 2nd time for lunch.
Ok. I promise, something different next time. Not that I don't like the stir-fry, but it's just not that interesting to write about...