Ethiopian Greens- Gomen

If you haven't spent any time in an Ethiopian restaurant gorging yourself into a bloated hog, you're really missing out. Though I've tried my hand at making injera-the traditional bread eaten at every meal, I've given up. I can't get the batter to be the right consistency, and there are good enough places around my greater neighborhood where I can pay for the pleasure of not getting disappointed.

So anyway, this is recipe #5 from the contents of Box #1, using up the bunch of collard greens. It wasn't quite enough to go around, so I added a package of frozen spinach to fill it out. It's usually spicier, with the addition of green chilies, but I wanted it kind of plain (perhaps too plain) to go along with some spicier mesir wat (lentil stew).

Gomen

1 bunch collard greens
1 box frozen spinach, thawed
3 big cloves of garlic, minced
5-6 scallions or a medium onion, minced
2 c water
vegan margarine or oil
salt

Method
1. boil the greens in some water until they're just tender
2. saute the onion in the margarine or oil until limp
3. add the garlic and saute for a few minutes
4. add greens and saute to thoroughly mix the greens and onion/garlic
5. add the 2 cups of water and salt to taste and simmer on medium heat until the water is absorbed.

Comments