Bachelorette Pasta


A few weekends ago, I was a bachelorette while my little vegan red-haired man was out of town. When he's away, at least 3 things happen: I get sad (awwwww), I get an overwhelming urge to clean the house, and I cook things that only I like.

I bought a package of pre-prepared 'harvest vegetables' at the local Wegman's. It's a reasonable blend of lightly cooked green beans, peppers and yellow and green squash. I can't tell exactly how they're cooked. The beans seem only steamed but there's a little bit of olive oil, so maybe they're just sauteed quickly.

I don't generally like pasta sauce. When I say pasta sauce, I mean red sauce. When I say red sauce, I mean tomato-based pasta sauce that comes in a jar. My little red-haired vegan, however, loves jarred red sauce. So when we have pasta, we rarely eat the same version since he's completely happy to drown his noodles in red glop.

So, with the cat away, I made my kind of pasta lunch. I don't think this lunch even needs a recipe, but ok...

Bachelorette Pasta Non-Recipe

1 cup cooked spaghetti
1 1/2 cups slightly cooked veggies
2 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots
small handful of green olives
1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked/canned), drained and rinsed
vegan margarine
salt and pepper


1. Slice the shallots very thinly in rounds and saute in the oil over medium heat until caramelized.
2. Toss vegetables and chickpeas into the pan with the shallots and cook until they're just tender.
3. Toss in the cooked pasta and olives and heat through.
4. I added a reasonable dollop of vegan margarine along with some salt and pepper while it was in the pan, then dumped it in a bowl and inhaled it in front of the TV.

Then there was cleaning. Crazed, frenetic cleaning. Some might say that he should go out of town more often....

Comments